Canon announced the EOS 1D Mark IV Digital SLR, putting an end to weeks of speculation.
The EOS 1D Mark IV is a monster, paraphrasing Canon’s press release. The new DSLR features a 16 mega-pixel CMOS sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 processors. The 1D Mk 4 captures images at a remarkable 10 frames-per-second (fps), and captures1080p High-Definition video.
Canon says this is the most rugged and durable professional body they have produced to date.
New Autofocus System
Good news for those shooters not impressed with Canon’s autofocus system: The 1D Mark IV features a new AF system, with 45 AF points and 39 high-precision cross-type points that can track fast moving athletes and animals. The auto focus system works accurately at speeds of 10 fps. With a new predictive focusing algorithm, the Canon 1D Mark IV, says Canon, will set new standards for pro DSLR bodies.
High ISO Range
The ISO range of the new Canon 1D Mk IV is impressive: From ISO 50 to ISO 12,800. Using expansion settings users can achieve ISO 102,000 for low-light photography. A new high ISO noise reduction feature is also built into the Canon 1D Mark IV.
- Three video resolutions: 1080p Full HD and 720p HD in a 16:9 aspect ratio and Standard Definition (SD) in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Full HD at frame rates of 24p (23.976), 25p, or 30p (29.97); and 720p HD or SD video recording at either 50p or 60p (59.94). SD video can be recorded in either NTSC or PAL standards.
- Sound is recorded through an internal microphone or by external microphones connected to the 1D Mk IV microphone input.
- The camera will offer some basic in-camera video editing functions.
- 10 fps - burst of 121 Large JPEGs using a UDMA CF card.
- 3 RAW shooting modes for versatility with Full RAW (approx. 16 million pixels), M-RAW (approx. nine million pixels), and S-RAW (approx. four million pixels).
- Three JPEG formats (M1, M2 and Small).
- 14-bit A/D conversion
- Improved white balance algorithm making colors more accurate when shooting under low color temp lights (household tungsten lamps).
- Clear View II LCD screen with 920,000 dot/VGA resolution and 160-degree viewing angle
How much is the Canon 1D Mark IV?
Canon says the new Canon 1D Mark IV will retail for $4999 USD, and be available in December 2010. The Canon WFT-E2 II, a wireless file transmitter for the 1D MK IV, will be available later this year.