You wanted 1/3rd stop adjustments – New Odin for Canon firmware available

August 21, 2012

Phottix Odin TTL Flash Trigger for Canon with 1/3rd Manual Flash Adjustment (artist's rendition).

Phottix Odin TTL Flash Trigger for Canon with 1/3rd Manual Flash Adjustment (artist’s rendition).

Team Phottix has received a lot of email about the Phottix Odin TTL Flash Trigger for Canon. Everyone loves the power, control and reliability of the Odin system.

We’ve received some nice (and not so nice) requests for 1/3rd stop power adjustments in Manual mode. For you, polite (and not so polite) manual flash power shooters we present firmware version 1.20 for the Phottix Odin TTL Flash Trigger for Canon. Now you can adjust manual power in 1/3rd stops. Note:  The TCU will display the positive value, not the minus value, ie. it will display 1/128 +0.7, not 1/64 -0.3.

What else can version 1.20 do?

• Added manual zoom settings: 20mm, 135mm and 200mm.
  • 5D Mark III over exposure issues resolved.
  • 650D not firing in A:B ratio mode resolved
  • 600D and 430EX Flash modeling light / misfire / exposure issues resolved.
Download now:

Phottix Odin for Canon Version 1.20 Firmware – PC Installer

Phottix Odin for Canon Version 1.20 Firmware – Mac Installer

Also note: While the Canon 650D using an Odin TCU will trigger flashes on Odin receivers- the AF assist lamps on these flashes will not function when triggered from a Canon 650D / Odin TCU combination. Our development team is working on new firmware that will resolve this issues as well as issues with Odin / Canon 1Dx compatibility. Please stay tuned for more details.

Comments

comments

Rob January 31, 2013 at 4:42 am

I have to wonder that given there has been response to 1Dx questions is Phottix even working on this?

Rob February 16, 2013 at 4:13 am

I’ll reply…oh wait don’t know anything either still waiting for 1Dx as well.

Stick February 16, 2013 at 4:21 am

Come on PHOTTIX, it has been 6 months already. If you are going to ignore the 1DX, just say it so we can sell our PHOTTIX gear and move to something else. I don’t care that it doesn’t work with the 1DX, but to make it appear that it is functional and then not support it is unacceptable.

Phottix Editor February 16, 2013 at 6:22 am

Looking for the Phottix Odin firmware upgrade for the Canon 1Dx? It’s with testers now – we hope to have more info on a release next week.

The above was posted on our Facebook page yesterday.

I understand everyone’s frustration – from our end: Writing firmware is not an easy task. Do you want firmware that works properly or something written quickly that does not? We would rather release something that works as it should – not a stop-gap, interim measure.

Mark February 17, 2013 at 4:17 am

I am pleased to hear about this since I have been researching other alternatives to the Odin. Since I use both a 5dIII and 1DX having whatever unit I choose to use professionally must be applicable to both units.

Stick February 17, 2013 at 8:41 am

Thank you for the update, I had traded in my 1D3 and almost traded in my 4 Phottix receivers and transmitter along with it a couple days ago based on the lack of input.

I have a large project coming up soon that requires a test shoot, and then the actual event shoot the following week. If it is possible to get involved with the 1Dx beta testing that would be great. I can understand wanting to use your own people, so if working with the beta is not possible I understand.

Rob February 16, 2013 at 7:07 am

Excellent, this is very good news, thanks.

Rob March 15, 2013 at 1:53 am

1Dx update so close I can almost taste it. At least I hope that isn’t the bitter taste of disappointment.

Scott March 16, 2013 at 12:47 am

Recently purchased the Odins and really pleased with them on a 5d mk III and 7D. I would just echo the comments about pre-flash and to be able to meter would make them even better. Here’s hoping to a firmware update soon…..

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: