The Canon 60D has left to Canon enthusiasts reading every available rumor and enduring untold suffering while waiting for an official announcement. The rumor-mills were swirling earlier this month with an July 13 expected announcement by Canon on the mythical EOS 60D. The latest scuttlebutt – The Canon 60D will be announced July 21. (editor’s note: Don’t hold your breath.)
What features will the 60D have? A photographer’s cornucopia of tools that shooters have been asking for. What are the latest specs? Canon Rumors speculates:
- Articulating Screen
- New 9AF point system.
- 5 Cross-type Sensors, all f/5.6 except for the f/2.8 Center
- 6 frames per second
- DIGIC IV processor
- Full HD Recording Mode
- Wireless Flash Transmitter
- New Battery and Grip
- 50D-like Weather Seals
- A possible change to the frame – smaller than previous XXD cameras. and possible “an exciting new feature never seen on EOS cameras before”
Wow. Still expected are the Canon 2000D and Canon 1Ds Mark Iv – if these cameras can make the jump from Imaginationland to reality sometime in 2010.
In other Canon news:
There are rumors of a new 50 mm f/1.4L – a good thing since Canon’s EF 50 mm f/1.4 has been plagued by problems.
Firmware to correct a video problem on the Canon 550D / Canon Rebel 2Ti has been released. Download.
Still no info on a Canon EVIL. Some pundits believe the Nikon EVIL will be ready and available first – perhaps in time for Photokina.
Nikonians are speculating about the Nikon D700 replacement. There have been reports that Nikon will phase out the venerable D700 – no one is sure what will replace it.
A Nikon patent application on Continuous AF in video mode/live view shows promise for future Nikon models – and the rumored Nikon EVIL.
Nikon Rumors has an interesting post on the Nikon D90 and Nikon D5000 replacements – conjecture about new DSLRs to replace these two Nikon models.
The Nikon D3100 is discussed – a rumored entry-level DSLR between the D3000 and D5000. Original rumors labeled the mystery camera the D4000 – that rumor is apparently incorrect. An announcement is expected in “a few weeks” Possible features include:
- 10 MP CMOS sensor
- 3 frames per second (same as D3000)
- Continuous AF in video mode/live view
- Total of 11 or 12 AF points with new new AF points configuration.
- HD video: 1080p/24 and 720p 30/24!
- In camera video editing capabilities
- no swivel display
- will be sold in a kit with the 18-55mm lens